I put an ad on Craigslist since my motto about dating is that it takes a village to find me a man so I’m EVERYWHERE!!! In reply to my very witty ad one man sent me a very scolding reply that I ‘OWE’ him an photo. He cited the ‘online dating rules’ that the person who has placed an ad should ALWAYS have a photo. Of course this was this particular man’s rules since he felt he (as a man) should be the rejector as opposed to a lowly woman. How DARE I take control of my dating destiny and seek a mate that I find attractive!
Happily I don’t value the opinion of an idiot but for those who don’t know the online ‘dating rules’ let me give a you a few that I live by to meet someone.
- Place an ad with a brief description of yourself.
- Post a photo if you want to or not .. it’s your ad!
- Make sure you write a general description of what your looking for as far as criteria (helps to self winnow out)
- I always recommend you look at all replies for ‘red flags’ namely scammers with external links, photos of someone else, super sexy photos (looking for a one night stand or just shows they are weirdos) and a reply that just reads odd
- I recommend a bit of sleuthing so Google, Facebook and/or LinkedIn the name to see what comes up (I’ve seen so many guys who turn out to be married out looking for trouble)
- If someone replies with ‘demands’ of a photo or contact info that’s a red flag for me and I delete out their message
- My motto about photos is that most people use crappy cell phone photos or actor shots that have been photo shopped out of recognition so I prefer a description of someone and that we meet in person since chemical reaction trumps ‘type’ every time