I’m beyond excited that the geek fun is coming with VR, Games, Tech, Panels, Swag and more for San Diego Comic Con! As technology changes how we ‘play’ it is logical for the expansion from past years! I always try to check out the VR/Gaming at SDCC since it’s always cutting edge ‘next big thing’ for consumers and I know I won’t be disappointed! FutureTechLive@ COMIC-CON is taking over the Omni and is bringing Star Wars, Deadpool 2, Ready Player One, Blizzard’s Overwatch and so much more to immerse you in new and exciting ways!
AI & Robotics Innovation Fair, Space Zone, and Coinfest/Blockchain Added
Debuting Comic-Con’s first-ever Hackathon!
Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality / Mixed Reality
- STAR WARS: JEDI CHALLENGES – from Lenovo – smartphone powered augmented reality Star Wars experience, enabling lightsaber battles.
- READY PLAYER ONE – from Warner Bros. – 5,000 square feet of immersive experiences and pop culture iconography.
- DEADPOOL AR – from 7-Eleven – an AR activation based on the snarkiest Marvel Comics superhero and Fox movies rolled out by 7-Eleven Digital.
- GHOSTBUSTERS AR – from Sony / 433 Games – remember Pokemon Go? Soon people will be able to hunt virtual ghosts via their smartphone.
- OVERWATCH AR – from Blizzard – from the gaming giant behind this mega-game, now you can virtually jump into the game.
- APE-X – from Starbreeze and Luckyhammers – Fight for your freedom atop a towering building while battling bots high above city streets in this location-based VR experience.
- HOLOGATE – multi-player location-based VR experience providing exhilarating adventures in which multiple people fight robots, dragons and zombies, throw virtual snow balls or bond together and try to escape a sinking submarine.
- TAKE PAUSE – VR-based toolkit that helps teens improve focus and resilience by making mindfulness accessible and engaging using virtual reality.
- STIMULI VR – Stimuli glasses replace big, bulky VR headsets to make VR more accessible. Get ready to nab some being given away.
- WAREPLAI – uses AR to make clothing into an interactive gaming experience, with the goal to pioneer experiences to bring people together using our blended reality platform which successfully blends the virtual world, the real world, and physical items through any device.
- e360TV – making videos bleeding edge
Gaming / eSports
- ARCHANGEL: HELLFIRE – from Skydance Interactive – an action-packed multiplayer mech game, and a successor to the award-winning story-driven VR shooter Archangel. From a war torn cityscape to a snowy mountain terrain, mechs can battle it out in free-roaming warfare in open combat environments.
- WAX – from the founders of OPSkins, the world’s leading marketplace for online video games assets, WAX is a decentralized platform that enables anyone to operate a fully functioning marketplace among the 400+ million online players who already collect, buy and sell in-game items.
- ROBOT CACHE – the gaming industry’s first-ever decentralized video game distribution platform, dramatically reducing the fees publishers pay and for the first time, allowing gamers to resell their digital PC video games.
- ULTRA – a new game publishing platform, bringing the blockchain revolution to the gaming industry and creating a fair ecosystem for the future of games distribution.
- TEAM LIQUID – one of the most influential and dominant teams in eSports; it includes some of the winningest players ever. Their eSports wiki, Liquipedia, has grown to become one of the most useful, most detailed, and most up to date wikis in all of gaming. Team members will be on hand to interact and sign autographs.
A.I. Innovation / Robotics
- OZOBOT – makes award-winning coding robots for the next generators of creators… preparing kids for a future where they’ll collaborate with robots every day.
- HORIZON HOVER – founded by former NFL player Thomas (“TJ”) Wright, Horizon is developing autonomous hovercraft and heavy lift drones for businesses and consumers; TJ will be on hand for show-and-tell.
- #AISHOWBIZ ROUNDTABLE – thought leaders in artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, and entertainment from around the world are converging to share their ideas and interact.
Coinfest / Blockchain
- CONSENSYS – Ethereum founder Joseph Lubin launched ConsenSys as a software foundry to develop decentralized software services and applications that operate on the Ethereum blockchain.
- CELLARIUS – a collaborative transmedia universe integrated with blockchain technology that hopes to span every conceivable artistic medium — film, fiction, animation, music, games — with user-generated content that collectively tells the story of humanity’s ceaseless quest to push the limits of technology.
- BLOCKCHAINBTM – this company is rolling out Bitcoin ATM (i.e., “BTM”) machines across the country, with nearly a dozen already deployed in So. California.
- NEWAFRICARADIO.NET – a 24/7 internet radio channel that covers what is going on in cryptocurrency and blockchain across the continent of Africa.
- THE LIGHT IN THE VOID – From GRAMMY-nominated composer Austin Wintory (Journey, Abzu, Assasin’s Creed Syndicate) and 3-time EMMY-nominated writer-director Anthony Lund (Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, National Geographic’s Breakthrough) comes a compelling narrative-driven symphonic theater piece that combines real, modern science with the universal question of how we must confront the unknown. A Light in the Void tells a classic hero’s journey. Along her path, she’ll tangle with an unforgettable cast of unique characters, all portrayed by legendary actor Troy Baker (The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Shadow of Mordor). Celebrated scientists Carolyn Porco (NASA, Cassini), Maria Spirapulu (Large Hadron Collider, Caltech) and Alice Roberts (Univ. Birmingham, BBC) will present the antidote. We also spotlight A Light in the Void in some our panels.
- SPHERES: SONGS OF SPACETIME – a three-part VR series that lets viewers explore the depths of Space in VR, which sold in a blockbuster deal at this past year’s Sundance Film Festival.
- SPACE ODYSSEY – a PC game, VR series, and on-location attraction in development which enables exploration and colonization in deep space.
- FLEET SCIENCE CENTER – The acclaimed San Diego institution is bringing fun its celebrated “Two Scientists Walk into a Bar” experience — which means dozens of the best and brightest of the area scientists and innovators will be on hand to answers attendee’s questions!
- UCSD – THE CULTURAL HERITAGE ENGINEERING INITATIVE (CHAI) / CENTER FOR ASTROPHYSICS & SPACE SCIENCE (CASS) / ARTHUR C. CLARKE CENTER FOR HUMAN IMAGINATION – includes 3D video wall with augmented reality for experiencing archeological sites
- ROB PRIOR – the official artist of Star Wars & Game of Thrones will be painting live on-site.
- VR ART – digital art in an immersive setting.
- ESA LOUNGE Presented by RED BULL – We Are exhibit – Entertainment Software Association (ESA) Foundation and Red Bull Media House will showcase We Are, an educational photography exhibit, in the Diversity in Gaming and Tech Lounge. The exhibit shines a light on incredibly talented women contributing to the gaming community
FutureTechLive! & FanHacks League is producing the first-ever Comic-Con Fan Engagement Hackathon. Participants will work on prototyping mobile device apps. This includes:
- Gaming Challenge – presented by Ultra
- Blockchain Challenge – presented by Consensys
Prizes and Goodies provided by:
- Red Bull
- Team Liquid
- 7-Eleven / Deadpool 2
- The Void
- Omni Hotels
- Punch Bowl Social
For additional information and registration for the Hackathon: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/comic-con-hackathon-2018-tickets-47750687592
Giveaways and Swag
This year will feature some terrific swag. Giveaways include:
- Deadpool 2 limited edition FUNCO Pops and Trolli Gummy Baby Hands, courtesy of 7-Eleven
- Overwatch limited edition pins from Blizzard
- Star Wars: Jedi Challenges swag from Lenovo
- eSports swag from champions Team Liquid
- Surprise giveaways throughout the event
FutureTechLive! is also curating dynamic panels with industry leaders and pacesetters.
The Science of Cool
Thursday, 7/19/18, 5:00p.m. – 6:00p.m. | Venue: 5AB in San Diego Convention Center
An all-star panel of scientists and creators discuss how the rise of immersive technologies, robotics, rocketry, AI and have made science cool again and continue to bring us closer to solving some of the greatest challenges and mysteries we face.
- Moderator: Dr. Erik Viirre, M.D., Ph.D – UCSD Departments of Neurosciences; Co-Director, Arthur C. Clark Center for Human Imagination at UCSD; Qualcomm XPrize.
- Dr. Brian Keating – USCD Astrophysics professor; Director, Center for Astrophysics & Space Sciences; Co-Director, Arthur C. Clarke Center for Human Imagination at UCSD; author, “Losing the Nobel Prize: A Story of Cosmology, Ambition, and the Perils of Science’s Highest Honor.”
- Xabi Uribe-Etxebarria – Founder & CEO, SHERPA
- Kim Salzer – CMO, OZOBOT
- Katie Kelly, Head of Engagement – AltSpaceVR, MICROSOFT
- Sinclair Fleming, Lead Engineer – STARBREEZE STUDIOS
- Thomas “TJ” Wright, CEO – HORIZON HOVER (and former NLF player)
Going Crypto: How Digital Coin Technology Is Changing How We Live Our Lives
Thursday, 7/19/18, 6:00p.m. – 7:00p.m. | Venue: 5AB in San Diego Convention Center
Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Dash, LiteCoin… Crypto Currency or Digital Currency or Digital Coin or Blockchain or whatever you want to call it is arguably the most talked-about topic in the ether right now. Beyond the speculation of altcoins, tokens, and ICOs, at the heart of it all is an innovative tracking technology that is now also impacting gaming, entertainment, animation, video, and everyday life. Come find out what is coming down the pike in the world of crypto!
- Moderator: Anthony Appollo – CELLARIUS / CONSENSYS
- Jonny Peters – CEO, GAZE COIN / DREAM FRAMES (film tokenization)
- Mike Dunn – CTO, ULTRA (Blockchain based games publishing platform)
- Patrick Dees – President, FAN CONTROLLED FOOTBALL LEAGUE / FAN TOKEN
- Brian Mac Mahon – CEO, EXPERT DOJO (Crypto Advisor)
- Evo Heyning – Strategic Development, FLUID BLOCKCHAIN ACCELERATOR
- Timothy “TimTayshun” Curry – Co-Founder & Blockchain Educator, BLOCKCHAINBTM (Bitcoin ATMs) and NewAfricaRadio.net / Regional Organizer, Coinfest
To Infinity & Beyond: Our Dreams for the Future Take Flight
Friday, 7/20/18 4:00p.m. – 5:00p.m. | Venue: 23ABC in San Diego Convention Center
For generations – from Copernicus to Jules Verne to Elon Musk — visionaries have offered their dreams of the future, and in doing so inspired mind-blowing innovation. An all-star panel of creators and innovators discuss their greatest influences and what they envision for our future.
- Eliza McNitt – Director, Spheres VR Experience, Oculus/Intel
- Dr. Carolyn Porco – Imaging Lead, NASA, Cassini Project – Star Talk All-Star
- Kiki Wolfkill – Kiki Wolfkill – Studio Head, HALO Transmedia and Entertainment / 343 INDUSTRIES / MICROSOFT
- Cliff Plumer – CEO, The Void (Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire and other experiences)
- Austin Wintory & Tony Lund – Co-Creators, A Light in the Void
- Jordan Vogt-Roberts – Director, Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Metal Gear Solid
Hollywood & Emerging Tech — The Next Level of Entertainment
Saturday, 7/21/18, 3:30p.m. – 4:30p.m. | Venue: 24ABC in San Diego Convention Center
A diverse panel explores where Hollywood and technology are headed in 2018 and beyond. Celebrates the intersection of entertainment and VR, AR, XR and other cool technologies making the world a more exciting place.
- Moderator: Anastasia Staten – Executive Director, ESA FOUNDATION
- Chris Young – SVP, Entertainment Lab, NICKELODEON
- Ted Schilowitz – Futurist, PARAMOUNT STUDIOS
- Arvel Chappel III – Manager Emerging Technology, WARNER BROS.
- Nick Eisele – Associate Producer, Games & Virtual Reality, NBC UNIVERSAL
- Joanna Popper – Global Head of Virtual Reality, HP
- Tareng Sethia – VP Product Management –Digital, 7-11 / DEADPOOL 2
- Mark Harwood – Senior Producer, STARBREEZE STUDIOS
Gaming + Blockchain = A New Way for Gamers to Win Big!
Saturday, 7/21/18, 5:30p.m. – 6:30p.m. | Venue: Room 5AB in San Diego Convention Center
Blockchain is rapidly changing the way that both developers and players interact with video games and esports. Learn how gaming gurus are pioneering new types of games and business models with this disruptive technology. And how gamers are making out big time owning and trading digital assets from games. Hear from the vanguard.
- Moderator: David Bloom, Gaming Journalist
- William Quigley – CEO, WAX
- Lee Jacobson – CEO, ROBOT CACHE
- Tony Shen – Product Lead, DECENTRALAND
Enter the Fun Zone – New Immersive Arcades and eSports Stadiums
Sunday, 7/22/18, 11:00a.m. – 12:00p.m. | Venue: 29AB in San Diego Convention Center
Dynamic and immersive virtual reality arcades are springing up around the world, as are eSports stadiums and studios. Location-based entertainment is evolving, and these panelists are leading the way.
- Moderator: Mark Murphy – Co-Founder, Future Tech Live! & Space Media Ventures
- Gregg Katano – VP of U.S. Operations, HOLOGATE
- Sinclair Fleming – Lead Engineer, STARBREEZE STUDIOS
- Guy Constantine – VP, Global Interactive Marketing, SKYDANCE
- Team Liquid
Making it As a Pro in Gaming and eSports
Sunday, 7/22/18, 1:00p.m. – 2:00p.m. | Venue: 24ABC in San Diego Convention Center
What does it take to become a Pro Gamer – traveling the world and winning big at gaming and eSports competitions? How about a game designer? A programmer? This panel will give you the insights and inspiration to make your mark and even your livelihood in the world of gaming and eSports.
- Moderator: Anastasia Staten – Executive Director, ESA FOUNDATION
- Trey Smith – TEAM LIQUID – League of Legends
- TEAM LIQUID competitors
- Winter – TEMPO STORM – Fortnite
- Sicairos – TEMPO STORM – Fortnite
- Overwatch League players (2)
Diversity in Tech and Gaming – An Evolving Conversation
Sunday, 7/22/18, 2:00p.m. – 3:00p.m. | Venue: 24ABC in San Diego Convention Center
Inclusion and equality is a hot topic everywhere, and that includes the Tech and Gaming worlds. These sectors are making major inroads, and these panelists are part of the vanguard leading the way.
- Moderator – Anastasia Staten – Executive Producer, ESA FOUNDATION
- Kiki Wolfkill – Studio Head, HALO Transmedia and Entertainment / 343 INDUSTRIES / MICROSOFT
- Joanna Popper – Global Head of Virtual Reality for Location-Based Entertainment, HP
- Katie Kelly – Head of Engagement, AltspaceVR, MICROSOFT
- Eliza McNitt – Filmmaker / Director of SPHERES
- Lori H. Schwartz – Governor Interactive Media, ACADEMY OF TELEVISION ARTS & SCIENCES
- Shirin Laor-Raz Salemnia – Founder, WHIZGIRLS ACADEMY / CEO, PLAYWERKS / Faculty, USC
- Dianna Cowern – “PHYSICS GIRL” internet sensation
Special category events within FUTURETECHLIVE! @ COMIC-CON include:
#AISHOWBIZ ROUNDTABLE – Wednesday, July 18 (Invite only)
Thought leaders in artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, and entertainment from around the world gather to interact and exchange ideas.
MEDIA PREVIEW – Wednesday, July 18 at 3:00 – 6:00 p.m. (Media only)
Allows for media, bloggers and influencers a first experience of the event. Comic-Con passes are not required for this session.
DEVELOPERS/GAMERS PREVIEW – Wednesday, July 18 at 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. (Developers & Gamers)
This exclusive session allows for developers, designers, gamers, and other industry folks to get a sneak peek of the event. COMIC-CON passes are not required for this session.
VIP RECEPTION – Saturday, July 21 at 9:00 p.m.+ (Invite only)
Regular days and hours are: Thursday, Friday, Saturday (July 19 – 21) 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday (July 22) 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The event is in the Grand Ballroom of the Omni San Diego Hotel at 675 L Street, which directly faces the city’s Convention Center, home of San Diego International Comic-Con International, and is next to Petco Park stadium.
For more information about FUTURETECHLIVE! @ COMIC-CON visit www.futuretechlive.com
Posted in Business, Comic Books, Game Chick, Geek Fun, San Diego Comic Con, Tech Tagged with: AI, AISHOWBIZ, BLIZZARD’S OVERWATCH, BlockChain, CoinFest, Comic-Con, Comic-Con Fan Engagement Hackathon, Comic-Con Hackathon, Deadpool 2, FTL2018, Future Tech Live Panels, FutureTechLive, FutureTechPanels, gaming, Immersive Tech, READY PLAYER ONE, Robotics, SDCC, SDCC Panels, Space Zone, Star Wars, Swag, Tech, VR
Arnold Peter, Founder and President of the Associate of Media & Entertainment Counsel (AMEC) announced the first annual Law & Justice film series with the final event Counsel of the Year. The two-day celebration honors the role of attorneys in the judicial process, popular culture and entertainment industries. AMEC expects 300 attendees that work as in-house counsels and business affairs attorneys in entertainment, media companies, and law firms to attend panels, receptions and the Awards Gala. The Jury members that will select winners in the best law and legal issues in Feature Narrative, Episodic TV, Cable/Video on Demand, Comedy and Documentary. It should be a fascinating event since the law weaves in and out of pop culture from film to tv to books to games and VR. The first book lawyer I fell in love with was Atticus from ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ and the film brought my fascination full circle. Of course I am not the only one since not year goes by without a new legal drama or film.
This year’s prestigious jury includes such distinguish legal professionals across the media and entertainment field and a retired former United States District Judge and California Supreme Court Justice and award-winning SAG actor RJ Mitte from the hit TV-series “Breaking Bad.”
- Vernon Chu, General Counsel, BBC Worldwide North America
- Gilda Brasch, Reality television producer and director
- Hon. Carlos R. Moreno (Ret.), former United States District Judge and California Supreme Court Justice
- Madeline Di Nonno, CEO, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
- Erica Van Loon, Partner and Head of the Trademark, Copyright and Media Practice, Glaser Weil
- RJ Mitte, actor, Breaking Bad
- Claudia Teran, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, FOX Sports
- Chacko Vadaketh, Cambridge trainer Barrister, actor and voiceover artist
“As a long-term supporter and AMEC Board member, I am delighted to join such a distinguished jury and with so much great filmed content being produced about lawyers, judges and the legal system we have our work cut out for us.” “AMEC is embarking on yet another exciting chapter with an innovative event that honors the best in what entertainment attorneys do.” stated Erica Van Loon, Jury president
AMEC’s 2018 Law and Justice Film Screening Series schedule will include the following:
- “Virtual and Augmented Reality On The World Stage” presented by USC’s Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT) and Moderated by Nishith Desai Associates – India’s leading international law and panel of in-house counsel.
- Interactive presentation “Lawyers on Film: Why Do They Hate Us?” Guest speaker – Nancy B. Rapoport, Garman Turner Gordon Professor of Law, UNLV and leading expert on contemporary legal ethics.
- Screening of Crime and Punishment starring Vanessa Redgrave and John Hurt. Discussion “What “Crime and Punishment” says and means to today’s attorneys and judges. Guest speaker – Marcus Levitt, Professor Emeritus of Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Sothern California – Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. Leading authority on Fyodor Dostoevsky.
- Screening of “The Trial,” a 2010 film starring Matthew Modine based on novel by practicing attorney Robert Whitlow.
About the Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel
Established in 2005, The Association of Media & Entertainment Counsel (AMEC) was founded by Arnold Peter, former Vice President of Legal Affairs and Labor Relations at Universal Studios and current Managing Partner of Peter Law Group, Bill Simon, Chair of the Global Media & Entertainment Practice at Korn Ferry International and Peter Winkler, previously head of marketing at PricewaterhouseCoopers Global Entertainment & Media Practice to represent the interests and celebrate talented in-house counsel and independent attorneys at Entertainment and Media companies.
Today, AMEC celebrates its 12th year and its membership boasts more than 14,000 accomplished men and women working in a variety of executive roles worldwide including in-house counsel and business affairs attorneys at major entertainment and media companies and law firms.
The Association of Media & Entertainment Counsel (AMEC) was founded by veteran attorneys Arnold Peter, Bill Simon, and Peter Winkler to represent the interests and celebrate the legal profession in Media and Entertainment companies. , AMEC also announced its 2018 Jury members with the task to select winners in various categories for the best law and legal issues based content in feature narrative, Episodic TV, Cable/Video on Demand, Comedy and Documentary.
Posted in Business, Los Angeles Tagged with: AMEC, Associate of Media & Entertainment Counsel, Breaking Bad, Counsel of the Year, Law & Just Film Series, RJ Mitte
I’m so excited about the upcoming Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival this April 27th with films that represent diversity from across the world. I’ve attended over the years and have always been impressed by the selection of films form comedy to documentary to drama that truly represent the diversity that often is overlooked in entertainment. I also recommend attendance of the C3 Conference that will focus on Future Forward a full day of panels with creatives from behind the camera talking issues that are important to those starting out in the business as well as established creatives.
On my list to see:
A modern day couple is forced to end their interracial relationship. This is a love story about an Asian American/African American couple inspired by a true story.
FREE PROGRAM. “Bronzeville, Little Tokyo” sheds light on an overlooked moment in history when Japanese and Japanese-Americans were displaced and African-Americans moved into Little Tokyo. To honor this period, there will be a special two-day program featuring an interactive media installation, a 360° virtual reality presentation, and a live Jazz performance on Historic First Street North.
A film essay looking at 100 years of Hawai‘i in film, explores issues of representation and gender. This filmic deconstruction is a lively, often infuriating examination of Hollywood’s portrayal of the islands, highlighting the essential necessity of homegrown filmmaking.
Three sassy sisters: Gendis (32), Ella (28), and Bebe (19), are very passionate about running their family boutique hotel by the beach in the eastern part of Indonesia’s archipelago. Their grandmother, however, is frustrated because she is unable to find the ideal matches for her granddaughters. Grandma doesn’t give up. Her ultimate goal in life is to find suitable men for her granddaughters.
In this mockumentary short, a family of monsters tries to lead a normal American life.
Itsy Bitsy Shorts
Tateuchi Democracy Forum
April 29, 2017 10:00 am
A slice-of-life dark comedy about a lonely female security guard, and the misunderstood sexual encounter that unravels her life.
WHO IS ARTHUR CHU? follows the controversial 11-time Jeopardy! winner turned Internet iconoclast, Arthur Chu, as he struggles to reform society and himself in a seminal year.
A contemplative dialogue with the editors from some of the biggest box office animated/stop motion films in history – discussing the industry, their processes and their look into the future of animation. *Panels are not individually sold. The admission fee for one day will include all the panels on that day. The admission fee for both days will include all the panels of the C3 Conference.
2017 LAAPF GALA PRESENTATIONS
OPENING NIGHT FILM | BETTER LUCK TOMORROW | DIRECTED BY JUSTIN LIN
APRIL 27 | 7:00 PM | EGYPTIAN THEATER
Come celebrate the 15th anniversary of BETTER LUCK TOMORROW (co-presented by YOMYOMF)! The film premiered at Sundance amid controversy and is a benchmark for APA cinema. The Festival is screening the original Sundance cut, in glorious 35mm film. Director Justin Lin will present the film and joined by his cast for this anniversary celebration.
CENTERPIECE FILM | GOOK | DIRECTED BY JUSTIN CHON
APRIL 29 | 8:00 PM | ARATANI THEATER
Eli and Daniel are two Korean-American brothers who own a struggling shoe store. They have a unique and unlikely friendship with a young 11-year-old African American girl, Kamilla. The film is set during the first day of the LA riots, forcing them to defend their store while contemplating the future of their own personal dreams and the meaning of family.
Director/Writer and Actor Justin Chon and his cast and crew will be in attendance to present this film.
CLOSING NIGHT FILM | COLUMBUS | DIRECTED BY KOGONADA
MAY 4 | 7:00 PM | DIRECTOR’S GUILD OF AMERICA
Casey lives with her mother in a little-known Midwestern town haunted by the promise of modernism. Jin, a visitor from the other side of the world, attends to his dying father. Burdened by the future, they find respite in one another and the architecture that surrounds them.
Cast and crew of COLOMBUS including JOHN CHO will be in attendance.
ADDITIONAL FEATURE FILMS HIGHLIGHTS AT LAAPFF 2017:
CARDINAL X Dir.: Angie Wang
CHEE AND T Dir.: Tanuj Chopra
COLUMBUS Dir.: Kogonada
GOOK Dir.: Justin Chon
I CAN I WILL I DID Dir.: Nadine Truong
THE LOCKPICKER Dir.: Randall Okita
NORMAN JONES Dir.: Mike Sakamoto
WEXFORD PLAZA Dir.: Joyce Wong
WINDOW HORSES Dir.: Ann Marie Fleming
95 AND 6 TO GO Dir.: Kimi Takesue
A TIME TO SWIM Dir.: Ashley Duong
FINDING KUKAN Dir.: Robin Lung
GHOST MAGNET ROACH MOTEL Dir.: Shinpei Takeda
MELE MURALS Dir.: Tadashi Nakamura
MIXED MATCH Dir.: Jeff Chiba Stearns
RESISTANCE AT TULE LAKE Dir.: Konrad Aderer
SAVE MY SEOUL Dir.: Jason Y. Lee
UNBROKEN GLASS Dir.: Dinesh Sabu
WHO IS ARTHUR CHU? Dirs.: Yu Gu and Scott Drucker
INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY FEATURES
MOTHERLAND Dir.: Ramona S. Diaz
PLASTIC CHINA Dir.: Wang Jiu-liang
SMALL TALK Dir.: Huang Hui-Chen
TOKYO IDOLS Dir.: Kyoko Miyake
INTERNATIONAL NARRATIVE FEATURES
BY THE TIME IT GETS DARK Dir.: Anocha Suwichakornpong
DIAMOND ISLAND Dir: Davy Chou
KING OF PEKING Dir.: Sam Voutas
POP AYE Dir.: Kristen Tan
RESEBA – THE DARK WIND Dir.: Hussein Hassan
THE ROAD TO MANDALAY Dir.: Midi Z
SAVING SALLY Dir.: Avid Liongoren
THE SOUL OF THE TIGER Dir.: François Yang
THE SOWER Dir.: Yosuke Takeuchi
TAXI STORIES Dir.: Doris Yeung
TURN LEFT TURN RIGHT Dir.: Douglas Seok
SPECIAL FILM PRESENTATIONS
- ABACUS: SMALL ENOUGH TO JAIL – Dir.: Steve James
- JOSHUA: TEENAGER VS. SUPERPOWER – Dir.: Joe Piscatella
- YELLOW (20th Anniversary Screening) Dir.: Chris Chan Lee
For complete program information please visit festival.vconline.org.
Posted in Animated, art, Business, Comedy, culture, Dating, Film, Los Angeles, Movie, Talk Tagged with: Animation, C3 Conference, Diverse Film, Documentary, DTLA, Independent Film, LAAPFF, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, Shorts
IndieCade Festival 2017 is accepting submissions for festival and showcases for East and Europe
IndieCade is a great platform for independent game makers from across the world that has a competition to showcase indie games and interactive media with innovative games unlike anything you might see anywhere else.
Who: Independent Game Developers, Designers, and Artists
What: Games and Interactive creative. Finished games as well as work- in-progress projects can be entered.
When: Regular Submissions are due by April 30, 2017
Late Submissions are due by June 15, 2017
Details: For complete details, submission criteria and how to submit your game, visit www.IndieCade.com/Submissions.
IndieCade recommends these multiplayer games from past festivals! Our CM *still* plays Ultimate Chicken Horse & Who Lurks
Applauded as the “Sundance of the videogame industry,” IndieCade supports independent game development globally through a series of international events highlighting the rich, diverse, artistic and culturally significant contributions of indie game developers. IndieCade’s programs are designed to bring visibility to and facilitate the production of new works within the emerging independent game community. Annual events include IndieCade East, IndieCade Europe, IndieCade’s Showcase @ E3, and IndieCade Festival, the largest gathering of independent game creators in the nation.
Posted in Animated, art, Business, festival, Game Chick Tagged with: Artists, Board Games, Business, designers, E3, Game Business, Gamers, Independent Game Developers, IndieCade East, IndieCade Europe, IndieCade Festival, IndieCade’s Showcase, Nintendo, PC Games, PS, Sony, Submissions, Video Games, VR, Xbox
I’m counting the days down until the Starz premier of American Gods on Sunday, April 30th in the U.S., and Amazon Prime Video internationally on Monday, May 1st. While I’m waiting am curious as a cat about the Neil Gaiman deal has with Freemantle Media North America. The first look deal after the first season of ‘American Gods’ means that Neil will be getting a lot of new fans since the show looks GREAT!
AMERICAN GODS’ BILQUIS, ANCIENT GODDESS OF LOVE
“Neil Gaiman is one of the most distinctive writers of our time and we’ve been incredibly fortunate to be entrusted with his vision while adapting American Gods. Our experience together has proven more than collaborative – it’s a shared ambition to create, develop and produce singular, bespoke content. We couldn’t be happier to diversify and expand our relationship to future projects”, Craig Cegielski, co-CEO, FremantleMedia North America
I wonder what the next project will come a live on TV from the author? FMNA is expanding with more scripted TV projects and with a catalog as rich as Neil and the strides FX has made TV shows can rival a lot of films. The multi-year first look agreement is a continuation of working on ‘American Gods’ and will include not only his novels, short stores and more for TV. It will also allow the adaptation of 3rd party source material and intellectual properties and includes all of his work as a writer and producer with his Blank Corporation and Cat Mihos (Director of Development)
“Working with my friends at FremantleMedia on shepherding American Gods to the screen has been exciting and delightful way to spend the last three years. I’ve learned to trust them, and to harness their talents and enthusiasm, as they’ve learned to harness mine. They don’t mind that I love creating a ridiculously wide variety of things, and I am glad that even the strangest projects of mine will have a home with them. American Gods is TV nobody has seen before and I can’t wait to announce the specifics behind what we have coming up next”, Neil Gaiman
ABOUT FREMANTLEMEDIA NORTH AMERICA
FremantleMedia North America (FMNA) is a premier content studio. FMNA and its portfolio of companies, including Random House Studio, Original Productions and 495 Productions, create entertaining and innovative scripted and alternative programs for network, cable, syndicated and digital partners. Its diverse, critically-acclaimed and award-winning slate includes America’s Got Talent (NBC), Family Feud (SYN), Let’s Make A Deal (CBS), The Price Is Right (CBS), The Great Christmas Light Fight (ABC), Deadliest Catch (Discovery), Jay Leno’s Garage(CNBC) Married to Medicine (Bravo), Martha and Snoop’s Potluck Dinner Party (VH1), Blue Collar Millionaires (CNBC), Storage Wars (A&E), Celebrity Family Feud (ABC), To Tell The Truth (ABC), Match Game (ABC) and American Gods (STARZ), among others. FMNA also operates BUZZR, a retro game show channel that launched in 2015, and is available in the top 10 U.S. markets, and 65 percent of the country.
FMNA is the U.S. arm of global media giant FremantleMedia, which includes a distribution arm, FremantleMedia International, a digital and branded entertainment division and a kids & family entertainment business. As one of the world’s largest and most successful creators, producers and distributors of TV brands in the world, FremantleMedia’s comprehensive global network has operations in 31 countries, creating over 10,000 hours of programming a year, rolling out more than 45 formats and managing over 350 individual titles. The company also distributes more than 20,000 hours of content in over 200 territories. For more information follow us @FMNATV and visit our Facebook page.
ABOUT NEIL GAIMAN
Neil Gaiman is the award-winning author of books, graphic novels, short stories, and films for all ages, including the Oscar nominatedCoraline, and Norse Mythology, currently the #1 work of fiction on both The New York Times and London Times Best Seller Lists. Some of his most notable titles include the groundbreaking Sandman comics series, The Graveyard Book (the only book ever to win both the Newbery and Carnegie medals), and The Ocean at the End of the Lane, the UK’s National Book Award 2013 Book of the Year. The film adaptation of his short story How to Talk to Girls at Parties will be in released in 2017. Born in the UK, he now lives in the United States.
Posted in Business, TV Tagged with: American Gods, Entertainment News, FMNA, FreemantleMedia North America, Geek TV, Neil Gaiman, Starz, tv
Two of my favorite brands got together and had super cute shoes with handbags.
“For JustFab, partnering with Betches just makes sense – we are at the forefront of using technology to better understand our customers’ needs and serve them with the right products, styling, trend information, and fashion & lifestyle content. Betches provides its customers with just that, along with a healthy dose of humor. It’s a platform where you can have fun with fashion & lifestyle content, and laugh with your friends over how relatable it really is. That’s exactly the type of partnership we want to offer our customers,” commented Traci Inglis, Chief Marketing Officer of TechStyle, JustFab’s parent company.
Samantha Fishbein, Aleen Kuperman and Jordana Abraham wearing head-to-toe JustFab
Erin Zierling, Jessica Hall and Sarah Stage
JustFab the fashion subscription, e-commerce site and lifestyle fashion brand worked with Betches to create a collection that embodies a look that fans will be wearing all season. The party was a mix of style writers, JustFab & Betches fans as well as celebrities including Johnny Wujek, Brittany Furlan, Miguel’s Fiancé Nazanin Mandi, Jaqueline MacInnes Wood, Sabina Gadecki, Renee Olstead, Logan Browning, Kara Royster, Diamond White, Lilimar Hernandez, Greer Grammer, Hazel-E and more.
BETCHESxJUSTFAB is getting all of my holiday shoes and accessory money this year! Make it rain ladies make it rain!!!
Who can say ‘no’ to a candy bar … especially a Pink Candy Bar BETCHESxJUSTFAB you get me!
Miles B. and Hazel-E: Sabina Gadecki wearing JustFab shoes and bag
They had a few select items at the event that made me want to have a date for NYE and Valentines and all the parties in between! BETCHESxJUSTFAB had signature drinks courtesy of the sexy bartenders at the Doheney Room on the 2nd Floor where I made friends with other stylish women and men who ponied up to the bar looking JustFab I went with my drink of choices .. something with Tequila as I snacked on munchies (YUMMY food) and indulged in shoe AND handbag porn.
I didn’t realize I NEEDED a metallic envelope bag but now that BETCHESxJUSTFAB made it .. I WANT it
I have a weakness for black sparkly high heels!
I would walk on sexy clouds in these shoes!
These pink bow heels are a party on the side and work at the front. This pair can go from work to a night out with friends or a date!
Lilimar Hernandez wearing head-to-toe JustFab
I love this fall wine boots with sexy lace up details that would be great with jeans or a wool skirt!
Skyler Shaye and Logan Browning
Special thanks to Naked Princess & The Glam App
Founded in 2010, JustFab is the leading fashion-subscription ecommerce site and lifestyle fashion brand that offers members an engaging and personalized shopping experience. Millions of members worldwide are given the celebrity treatment every month as they receive a customized selection of shoes, apparel, handbags and jewelry. Members have exclusive access to fashion tips and content, clickable style boards to shop complete outfits and the team of JustFab fashion consultants for expert advice.JustFab offers high-fashion looks at affordable prices and shipping is free for all items over $39.95. JustFab is available in the US, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands.
For more information, please visit: www.justfab.com
Betches was started in 2011 as a blog by college roommates and childhood friends Jordana Abraham, Samantha Fishbein, and Aleen Kuperman. Their blog immediately went viral, and from there they knew they had a unique chance to build their business from the ground up. Five years later, they have a created a huge millennial brand with an audience of over 5 million, two New York Times bestselling books, and a successful retail operation, Shop Betches. The Betches are excited to be launching this collaboration with JustFab and for many new exciting projects to com
Posted in Business, culture, Fashon, Los Angeles, West Hollywood Tagged with: beauty, Betches, BETCHESxJUSTFAB, Boots, Brittany Furlan, cherrylosangeles, Collaboration, Curvy Style, Diamond White, Doheney Room, Greer Grammer, Handbags, Hazel-E, High Heels, Holiday Style, Jaqueline MacInnes Wood, Johnny Wujek, JustFab, Kara Royster, Lifestyle for women, Lilimar Hernandez, Logan Browning, Miguel’s Fiancé Nazanin Mandi, NYE, Renee Olstead, Sabina Gadecki, shoe porn, shoes, Sparkle, Style, West Hollywood
The Forum, “Expanding the Conversation: Asian Americans in Media,” is Designed to be a Solutions-Oriented Conversation
About the Status of Asian Americans Moving the Needle on Diversity and Inclusion in Hollywood is taking place on November 2nd. I’m very excited about this panel talking about the lack of diversity for Asian actors sponsored by Comcast NBCUniversal and the Center for Asian American Media.
“People are hungry for authentic representations of Asian Americans,” Stephen Gong, CAAM’s Executive Director, said. “CAAM is extremely proud to present this forum during a pivotal time in our nation. We believe that positive social change takes place not from above, but from within, from many local actions occurring simultaneously. We hope this conversation will spark real change within the media industry.”
Panelists for This Forum Include Sandra Oh (Sideways, Grey’s Anatomy), Grace Lee (Peabody Award-winning director of American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs), Karen Horne (SVP, Talent Development & Inclusion, NBCUniversal) and the moderator Richard Lui (MSNBC Anchor). This panel of talent from in front and behind the camera will offer will have a conversation about working in Hollywood.
It’s an important topic as our nation becomes more diverse and entertainment has to appeal to a global market. I strongly disagree with the belief that everyone’s default is a white man/woman. I enjoy seeing people of not only diverse backgrounds but telling stories from their point of view. It’s been over twenty years since an Asian American had a series on network TV and with the success of Fresh Off the Boat, Dr. Ken and Quantico hopefully will encourage Hollywood to not whitewash stories. If you look at the demographics Asians make up the largest growing ethnic group in the United States and more than half of the nation’s children under 18 are expected to be part of a minority race or ethnic group by 2020 (US Census). This is why Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are insisting on having a conversation about why their voices should be heard and seen!
Karen Horne is the Senior Vice President, Programming Talent Development and Inclusion for NBC Entertainment and Universal Television Studios. Horne oversees in-front-of and behind-the-camera diversity efforts for NBC and Universal Television. NBC’s Writers on the Verge Program, the Emerging Directors Program, nationwide talent search StandUp NBC, NBC’s Late Night Writers Workshop and the NBCUniversal Short Film Festival are among the more than 20 programs she heads while also overseeing NBC’s Diversity Staffing Initiative and working with the creative programming team to identify diverse development.
Grace Lee directed the Peabody award-winning documentary AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY: THE EVOLUTION OF GRACE LEE BOGGS that was broadcast on the PBS series POV. Her other documentaries include THE GRACE LEE PROJECT, MAKERS: WOMEN IN POLITICS and OFF THE MENU: ASIAN AMERICA. Her other directing credits include the feature film JANEANE FROM DES MOINES, which premiered at the 2012 Toronto Film Festival as well as AMERICAN ZOMBIE which premiered at Slamdance and is distributed by Cinema Libre. She is currently a Women at Sundance Fellow.
Sandra Oh was born and raised in Ottawa, Canada, Sandra Oh moved to Los Angeles in 1996 to begin the first of seven seasons as Rita Wu, the smart and sassy assistant on the HBO comedy series, Arli$$, for which she won a Cable Ace Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy. She has been nominated for five Emmy Awards and won a Golden Globe Award (Best Actress in a Supporting Role), a Screen Actors Guild Awards (Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor/ Cast in a Drama Series) and a Diversity Award (2005 Creative Liberty Award) for her portrayal of Cristina Yang on Grey’s Anatomy. Ms. Oh jumped the pond for SKY1’s Thorne: Scaredy Cat, which aired in the US on Starz Encore. Sandra is currently guest starring on ABC’s American Crime. Ms. Oh’s recent theatre work includes Julia Cho’s Office Hour, which premiered at SCR this spring and will be at the Public in 2018. As well as an upcoming production of Hansol Jung’s Wild Goose Dreams at La Jolla 2017. She has starred in productions of Death and the Maiden at Victory Gardens in Chicago, Diana Son’s Stop Kiss and Satellites at the Public in NYC, Jessica Hagedorn’s “Dogeaters” at La Jolla Playhouse and Oleanna at the Grand theatre and National Arts Centre in Canada.
Richard Lui is a journalist and news anchor for MSNBC. Before in 2007 at CNN Worldwide, he became the first Asian American male to anchor a daily, national cable news show.
The Center for Asian American Media (CAAM) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to presenting stories that convey the richness and diversity of Asian American experiences to the broadest audience possible. We do this by funding, producing, distributing and exhibiting works in film, television and digital media. To learn more, visit www.caamedia.org. #storiestolight
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. To learn more visit: www.nbcuniversal.com
About the NBCUniversal Talent Infusion Programs (NBCUNI TIPS) Since 2000, NBCUniversal has been dedicated to discovering and nurturing on screen and behind-the-camera talent of diverse and inclusive backgrounds through the NBCUniversal Talent Infusion Programs (NBCUNI TIPS). NBCUNI TIPS are amongst the most extensive and robust diversity and inclusion programs in the television industry. They feature 21 programs including the Writer’s on the Verge Program, Diverse Staff Writer Initiative, Emerging Director Program, StandUp NBC nationwide search for stand-up comedians and the NBCUniversal SHORT FILM FESTIVAL that celebrates diverse stories. Program alumni are celebrated producers, writers, directors and actors in the entertainment industry who have gone on to win Academy Awards®, Emmys, Golden Globes and SAG Awards. For more information, visit NBCUniTIPS.com. #nbcunitips
Posted in Business, culture, Film, Los Angeles, Made in America, Race in America, TV Tagged with: Asian American, CAAM, Center for Asian American Media, Comcast NBCUniversal, Diversity, Expanding the Conversation: Asian Americans in Media, Grace Lee, Hollywood, Karen Horne, panel, Richard Lui, Sandra Oh
Attend the 4th Annual Mobile Retail and Food Truck Business Expo with Cassie Betts, CEO of District 2 speaking about how she started her online fashion brand.
This event is a must attend for those interested in hearing from successful business owners on how they made their dreams a reality.
We appreciate Vermont Slauson for Economic Development (VSEDC) for bringing us this unique opportunity. Our CEO Cassie Betts will be speaking on how to start your fashion brand online. This could be a golden opportunity for people looking into start own fashion brand.
- Partnerships with the City of Los Angeles Mayor’s Office of Economic Development, Marco Antonio Regil, Television Host, LA Economic and Workforce Development Department, Fashion Business Institute, East West Bank, Premier Bank, Opportunity Fund, LA Food Council, Freshworks Program and both the American Mobile Retail Association (AMRA) and the Southern California Mobile Food Vendors Association (socalmfva).
- More exhibitors including Kareen Carts
- And new this year workshops and seminars on Social Media for Your Business, Crowdfunding to Finance Your Business, Email Marketing, How to Start Your Business in a Day with the City of Los Angeles, Taking Your Business Mobile and more…
- New this year is a special spotlight on two Crowdfunding Hometown Hero Businesses. Real talk from two entrepreneurs who did it successfully.
Let’s be part of this unique opportunity. For event details click HERE
Posted in Business, Fashon, Los Angeles, Social Media, Startups, Tech Tagged with: Business, Cassie Betts, City of Los Angeles, crowdfunding, District 2, fashion, Kareen Carts, Marco Antonio Regil, online fashion brand, panel, Seminars, Startup, Talk, Tech, workshops
I am so excited to tell everyone about the new ArcLight Cinemas and San Diego Filmmakers Partnership kicking off July 19 in La Jolla!
The new forum is designed to support, educate and enrich women working in and those aspiring to work in the film, media, and entertainment fields. The launch will commence with a kickoff event on July 19, 2016, at ArcLight Cinemas in La Jolla with a special evening of content specifically designed for industry women.
Gretchen McCourt, ArcLight’s Executive Vice President, stated “It is important to discuss how the film industry is impacted by women filmmakers, especially in the San Diego region. The launch of this network is a golden opportunity for aspiring filmmakers to learn more about challenges faced by women in entertainment, and how women can collaborate within the industry to make cinematic history.”
Francine Filsinger, President of San Diego Filmmakers, added, “With this network, we’re striving to increase our resources for women in the San Diego Filmmaking community to enhance professional growth in entertainment industry leadership positions.”
The San Diego community is supporting this program to provide education and collaboration opportunities, programs for women in the entertainment industry and networking opportunities. The kickoff event on July 19th will be an opportunity for attendees to hear advice from accomplished speakers in the film and entertainment industry about issues facing women.
Panelists include Stephanie Caleb; President of Creative Affairs, Cinelou Films/Cinelou Releasing; Linda Brown, Emmy Award-winning Cinematographer; Brent Altomare, Founder of Groovy Like a Movie Studios; Jodi Cilley, Founder and President of Film Consortium San Diego; Carly Starr Brullo Niles, Founder of Love Machine Films; Katayoun A. Marciano, Writer/Producer; and Jazmin Borad, Director of Programs for The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media. The panels will be moderated by Lisa Remillard, Morning Anchor for Good Morning San Diego on KUSI News, and Marianne Kushi; Anchor for NBC 7 News Today. Additional speakers will be announced closer to the event.
Launch Event Details:
Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Doors Open: 5:00pm
Programming Begins: 6:00pm
4425 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego, CA 92122
Tickets are $25 each, available via ArcLight Cinemas
All who are interested in learning more are invited to attend the launch event. More information can be found below:
ABOUT San Diego Filmmakers
San Diego Filmmakers, a recognized 501(c)(3) educational organization, was established on the fundamental premise that filmmaking is an art encompassing many crafts coming together to tell a story in the most truthful sense. In September 2005, award-winning writers, directors, and producers formed San Diego Filmmakers to create a synergistic resource for filmmakers. Another core conviction of San Diego Filmmakers is that art is best learned by sharing. Meetings are held every second Tuesday of the month, presenting high-quality guest speakers sharing insights, experience and passion for the Art of Filmmaking. San Diego Filmmakers connects with over 8,000 industry veterans and enthusiasts and is dedicated to celebrating and elevating the art of filmmaking. Additional information about San Diego Filmmakers is available at www.sdfilmmakers.org.
ABOUT ArcLight Cinemas
ArcLight Cinemas, created by Pacific Theatres, a privately owned, Los Angeles-based company with 60 years of theatrical exhibition history throughout California, Hawaii and Washington is a premier moviegoing experience with an unparalleled commitment to bringing a variety of rich cinematic content to moviegoers in all markets. ArcLight Cinemas operates eight theaters in California including Hollywood, Pasadena, Sherman Oaks, El Segundo, Santa Monica, Culver City and La Jolla, as well as one theater in Bethesda, MD, Chicago and Glenview, IL, with a new location in Boston for early 2018. ArcLight also owns and operates the historic Cinerama Dome and programs the TCL Chinese Theatre and IMAX in Hollywood. Pacific Theatres currently operates theaters in Los Angeles that include The Grove and The Americana at Brand in Glendale, CA. Additional information about ArcLight Cinemas is available at ArcLight Cinemas.
Posted in Business Tagged with: Arclight, arly Starr Brullo Niles, Brent Altomare, Cinelou Films/Cinelou Releasing, CKatayoun A. Marciano, Diversity, Francine Filsinger, Good Morning San Diego, Gretchen McCourt, Groovy Like a Movie Studios, Jazmin Borad, Jodi Cilley, KUSI News, Linda Brown, Lisa Remillard, Love Machine Films, Marianne Kushi, NBC 7 News Today, San Diego, San Diego Filmmakers, Stephanie Caleb, The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, Women in Film
Not too long ago I had the distinct pleasure of spending my day at two very different, but equally as informing, conventions around the LA area.
Dwelling on all the Designs
I started my day–after spending 20 minutes looking for parking–at the LA Convention Center for the 11th annual Dwell on Design show. While there, I was able to browse around and check out up and coming architecture, furniture, appliances, comforts, and much more, for the modern age.
Interior decorating meets Pinterest with Decorist and ATG stores.com.
I learned a lot about prefab housing from LivingHomes’ new spinoff Plant Prefab, and was even able to tour a few full-scale model houses. I also got to sit in the world’s most comfortable bean-bag chair from LoveSac, and get a massage from $8,000 god of a machine.
Lovely examples from VintageView Wine Racks
From interior decorators that can use your very own Pinterest boards to create your dream home–thanks Decorist– to wine racks specialized to your specifications, I have seen the future of housing, and I’m excited for more.
So after speaking with a few of the vendors and enjoying my second cup of coffee for the day, it was time to head out of DTLA and make my way to Pasadena for the 2nd annual Politicon Convention.
In only it’s second year, Politicon has firmly established itself as what Huffington Post calls “the Coachella of politics”. From Sarah Palin to 10-year old boys the line-up was extremely diverse.
Should we #legalizeit? From right: Mat Ferner, Nicole Boxer, Jordan Carlos, John Ratzenberger, and Hal Sparks.
I had the pleasure of sitting in on a panel about the legalization of weed with a great and lively group of debaters. Matt Ferner, Nicole Boxer, Jordan Carlos, Hal Sparks, and John Ratzenberger were all great at making their respective arguments and respecting one another’s positions.
Me with stand up comedian and recurring Colbert Report character, Jordan Carlos
Next and sadly finally, I enjoyed a hilarious comedy show with the likes of Jay Pharoah
Darrell Hammond, Al Madrigal, and Greg Proops Toure. All were perfect at keeping the audience laughing while still talking about social issues and the political climate of our country–no easy feat!
Me with SNL’s best Kanye and President Obama impersonator, Jay Pharoah.
Eventually I had to say goodbye to my new friends at Politicon and make my way back home. And after 2o minutes of being lost in Pasadena, not able to find my car, I did just that.
Thank you to Cherry LA for letting me tag along on an amazing Sunday!
Posted in art, Business, Comedy, culture, Geek Fun, Gift Ideas, Los Angeles, Politics, shopping, Startups, Talk Tagged with: dwellondesign, Furniture, livinghomes, losangeles, modernhousing, Politicon, Politics, prefhousing, sundayfunday