JUST FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
- Think of a Do-It-Yourself, demonstratable project that could be used for the good of others.
- Make your project.
- Create a 7-minute (or shorter) video in which you demonstrate your project and tell us how you used your superpowers of STEM to design and complete it.
- Go to MarvelStudiosSTEMChallenge.com to submit your application.
- Submit your 7-minute (or shorter) video.
FIVE (5) FINALISTS WILL BE SELECTED, AND EACH WILL:
- Receive an expenses-paid trip to Hollywood, California for the finalist and a parent or legal guardian.
- Have an opportunity to present her completed project in front of a panel of experts in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and/or math.
- Walk the red carpet at the premiere of MARVEL STUDIOS’ THOR: RAGNAROK.
One Grand Prize Winner will be selected from the five finalists to attend an immersive three-day mentorship in New York City with Disney Imagineering to build her STEM story, creating a professional level video teaching other young people how to recreate her Challenge winning project.
The Grand Prize Winner will also have the opportunity to demonstrate her Superpower of STEM project live to the Nation with a brief appearance on Good Morning America.
The video created during the Grand Prize Winner’s mentorship will be made available to students, teachers and families worldwide on the American Association for the Advancement of Science education resource website, ScienceNetLinks.com.
Finalists will be notified by September 28, 2017. Each finalist and her parent or legal guardian will travel to Los Angeles, California on or about Sunday, October 9, 2017.
MARVEL STUDIOS’ THOR: RAGNAROK SUPERPOWER OF STEM CHALLENGE is proudly presented by DISNEY, MARVEL STUDIOS, SYNCHRONY BANK, DOLBY, BROADCOM MASTERS, AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF SCIENCE, and SOCIETY FOR SCIENCE AND THE PUBLIC.
READ THE OFFICIAL RULES.
Make sure you qualify for the challenge: you are between the ages of 15 and 18, in grades 10 through 12, and a legal resident of and physically living within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
USE YOUR STEM SUPERPOWERS TO DESIGN AND COMPLETE A DO-IT-YOURSELF PROJECT.
Your project can have a practical use – it can be a robot, an app, a design plan, etc. Or it can be something that is just plain fun and that could bring joy to others! You may create a new project or may submit an original project that had previously been developed for a class, for a science competition, or just for fun. Let your imagination and STEM skills run wild!
- You must be able to instruct other students in how to complete your project.
- Your project must be replicable by other students with your instruction.
COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FORM.
Come back to the website MarvelStudiosSTEMChallenge.com and click on the APPLY page to complete the online application form. Applications will be accepted on or about 4:00am PDT on August 23, 2017 until 6:00pm PDT, September 23, 2017. You are strongly encouraged to apply early to ensure full consideration.
All applications must be submitted to MarvelStudiosSTEMChallenge.com.
Once your application has been processed and accepted, you will receive a confirmation email (processing takes approximately 48 hours).
CREATE YOUR CHALLENGE ENTRY VIDEO.
Once your application is accepted, and once your project is complete, it’s time to create a video in which you demonstrate your project, and tell us how you used your superpower of STEM to create and complete your project. If you are not sure how best to share your project whith others, check out your favorite instructional videos on the Internet for inspiration.
You may use a smartphone, computer, tablet, or camera to make your video. Please make sure we can see and hear both you and whatever you are describing/demonstrating clearly. Make sure you have adequate lighting, and the background is free of any copyrighted image, object, or obvious brand. Do not use any identifiable music in your video.
WHAT THE VIDEO MUST INCLUDE:
- Your first name (and only your first name).
- A demonstration of your project in an instructional format to show others how to recreate your project.
- An explanation of how you used STEM to develop and create your project.
- An explanation of how your project could help your family, community, or the world to be safer, healthier, or happier.
If the video does not feature you, your working project and answers to all of the questions listed above, it will be disqualified.
ALL VIDEOS MUST COMPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING:
- You should be the only person who appears in the video.
- Please only include your first name in the video. Videos that include last names, physical addresses, high school names, or any other identifying information will be immediately disqualified from further consideration.
- The video and the “script” (wording and presentation) must be original.
- If the video is taken by a third party, you must have secured all rights and clearances to the video from the third party.
- The video cannot contain any music or any identifiable background images (posters, logo shirts, objects with brand names, identifiable brand products, etc.).
- Materials, products, and other objects used in the video should have their brand names obscured.
- The video cannot contain materials displaying copyrighted images, names, likenesses, photographs, or anything else that identifies any person, living or dead, without permission.
- The video cannot defame, misrepresent, or contain disparaging remarks about people or companies.
- The video cannot be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group, or be derogatory to any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional, or age group.
- The video cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill with which Disney wishes to associate.
- The video cannot depict illegal activity and cannot itself be in violation of any law.
- The video may not include images of a known celebrity, famous or well-known person, or any image that violates the right of privacy or publicity of any person.
- The video cannot be more than seven (7) minutes in length.
UPLOAD YOUR VIDEO.
- Do one last check of the quality of your video. Review the list above and make sure you have followed all of the instructions.
Verify the video is no more than seven (7) minutes in length.
- Please label your video in the following manner:
LAST NAME_FIRST NAME_Challenge (e.g., DOE_JANE_CHALLENGE)
- Click the unique video upload link found in your application acceptance email and follow the directions to upload your video to the site.