What I’m talking about
by Aiyonna White, Contributor
Stan Lee’s Los Angeles Comic Con kicked off October 27 from 1pm-6pm. Didn’t make it? Here are some of the talented guests you may have missed:
- Stan Lee was in attendance, and attendees were able to bring in or purchase items to be signed by the man himself.
- Popular cosplayer Yaya Han, who you might know from her guest spots on TBS’s King of the Nerds or the Syfy series Heroes of Cosplay.
- Comic book artist Jae Lee, who won an Eisner Award for his art in Marvel’s The Inhumans. You might recognize his haunting art from Vol #1 of the The New 52 Batman/Superman run by Greg Pak. He was also one of my favorite artists in my all time favorite recent Superman comic, Superman: American Alien.
If you love anything slightly nerdy you love Gary Montalbano, who has his own booth at the convention. He has worked on several fan-favorite brands, including Batman:The Animated Series, Young Justice, Tom & Jerry, Mortal Combat, and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, to name a few.
- Inker Koi Turnbull is responsible for some seriously beautiful DC and Marvel panels.
- Shannon Eric Denton is the genius behind the storyboarding and directing of the animated m
ovie Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius along with the 2001’s animated Justice League television show and many more of your favorite children’s cartoons.
- Mike Mayhew gained popularity with his cover art for Marvel’s Mystique and Elektra comics in the 1990’s, and more recently is the main cover artist for Star Wars and comics.
- Not a person, but The Magic: The Gathering Sealed Event with exclusive Amnokhet Pre-Release Boxes and gameplay. First to sixth place won free packs of the not yet releases Amonkhet.
And that’s not even a fraction of all the talented artist and fun events happening at this year’s LACC. Keep up with the events by following the official twitter page for the con, and my twitter, because I will be live tweeting every event I go to Saturday and Sunday. Check back in tomorrow for more updates of what you may have missed!
I’m ready to be scared for 31 Days of Horror on SyFy this October! I plan to count down the days for Stan Lee’s (The Avengers, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy) original movie The Sandman on Saturday, October 14th at 9PM. Peter Sullivan (Ominous, Summoned) wrote and directed this film perfect for the spooky season produced by Hybrid.
It’s not often Stan Lee produces an original movie but he couldn’t resist The Sandman! The horror movie has an illustrious team of scary movie masters who worked with Lee, Gill Champion, Barry Barnholtz (Leprechaun), and Jeffrey Schenck (Finders Keepers, The Crooked Man).
The Sandman stars horror fan favorites Tobin Bell (the Saw films), Shaun Sipos (The Vampire Diaries, Texas Chainsaw 3D, Final Destination 2), Amanda Wyss (A Nightmare on Elm Street), Ricco Ross (Aliens) and stars Haylie Duff (Napoleon Dynamite, Material Girls) in a role that is unexpected and frightening
‘Madison’ (Shae Smolik) an 8 year old orphan is sent to live with her ‘Aunt Claire’ (Haylie Duff) a struggling artist after her father is found dead. Claire realizes Madison has a scary boogeyman friend called ‘The Sandman’ who she suspects may have killed her father and other victims across the country. ‘Valentine’ (Tobin Bell) is leading a government agency looking for Madison & ‘The Sandman’ to save or use her supernatural powers of telekinesis. Will Claire and Madison be able to save ‘The Sandman’ next victim and keep Valentine away from the child.
Are you planning to get scared by the Sandman? What’s your 31 Days of Horror looking like?
Come get your geek on with Stan Lee’s Los Angeles Comic Con
I have to say I LOVE STLACC it’s such fun and is just full of fans who want just be in the room with our comic book god Stan Lee! I’ve gone every years and have such fun with fanboys and fangirls of all ages. I love the Stan Lee and his friends always have special exhibits of personal collections.
They organize events from all ages and since it’s Halloween weekend they always have a costume party for kids!
So come and support our own local home grown comic con!
Am SOOO excited to see Taboo’s collection of geekiness tomorrow! What’s on your must see list for Stan Lee’s L.A. Comic Con this weekend at the convention center?????
Meet me DTLA for the 6th Annual Stan Lee’s Comikaze Expo with special pre-sale ticket pricing! It’s the most fun you’ll have that great for kids and kid’s at HEART!
It’s a blast to not only see Stan Lee but also meet and buy new comics and graphic novels, exclusive collectibles, get autographs and attend panels right in the heart of DTLA!
You can celebrate Star Trek’s 50th with cast favorites AND make lots of geek friends who love comic books, graphic novels, cosplay, cartoons and all things geek!
|Set Phasers to FUN!
In honor of the Star Trek 50th Anniversary, Stan Lee’s Comikaze Expo is proud to announce the return of iconic actress and history maker Nichelle Nichols together with the legendary Walter Koenig for some classic Star Trek fun.
Of course, we haven’t forgotten Next Generation – Denise Crosby will be on hand to represent TNG. Don’t miss your chance to meet these national treasures!
LAST Chance to Save BIG!
Only a few days remain to take advantage of the best prices of the year for the coveted Comikaze 3-day tickets! The savings are substantial, but you have to act now – because on August 2nd at 11:59 pm SHARP the prices WILL go up!
She’s one of the most celebrated and prolific voice actresses in entertainment … Fresh off her stint as Batgirl in Batman: The Killing Joke, join us in giving a big Comikaze welcome to Tara Strong! Meet the amazing Tara – along with her countlss characters from My Little Pony, Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go!, DC Superhero Girls, Ultimate Spider-man, Fairly Odd Parents and Power Puff Girls.
Stay tuned as we continue to roll out the major stars, creative giants, mega attractions and mist-not-miss events that have become the hallmark of Stan Lee’s Comikaze Expo! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram – and you can stay up to date!
…See you in October!
Are you heading to LA Times Festival of Books this weekend at USC? Enjoy books, panels and autographs that cover everything from comics (my favorite Stan Lee) to cooking to YA fiction! Check out the schedule and remember you need a ticket for select events.
Come Join DC and Vertigo Comics at the LA Times Festival of Books for a Special Signing Event
Come visit us at the DC booth, #889 Saturday April 9, for a special signing event with Jim Lee. 100 wristbands for the event will be handed out in the DC booth at 10 a.m. that morning. The actual signing will take place in the booth at 3 p.m. that same day.
We will also be handing out posters, bookmarks and comics to those in attendance.
You can also purchase DC and Vertigo comics of your favorite characters and some select DC Collectibles items.
What is the Festival of Books?
The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books began in 1996 with a simple goal: to bring together the people who create books with the people who love to read them. The festival was an immediate success and has evolved to include live bands, poetry readings, chef demos, cultural entertainment and artists creating their work on-site. There’s also a photography exhibit, film screenings followed by Q&A’s and discussion panels on some of today’s hottest topics.
Life is too short to NOT get a quick video uploaded for Stan Lee’s Biggest Fan contest on LiveJournal. It’s as easy as 1-2-3 and the prize well who can refuse Stan Lee??? I can’t I grew up reading his creations and he’s the grandfather of geekdom! Post a link to your entry in the comments section so I can check it out!
Right here on my very own LiveJournal, I am hosting a worldwide search for my biggest fan! I want to hear from each and every one of you about why you think you are my biggest fan. Maybe you have read all my comics, maybe you have collected all of the Stan Lee figurines, or maybe you even have my signature tattooed on your body. Whatever it may be, I want to hear it.
The winner will get an all-expenses paid trip to Hollywood for you and one guest, round-trip airfare, two nights in a hotel, and the chance to meet me in-person and share our passions for comics and superheroes!
So how do you submit your own story of fandom? Simple!
1) First you will need your very own LiveJournal. Already have one? Great, you can skip right to part two. If you don’t have one it’s very easy to create. Just click on the “Create An Account” button at the top of the page, fill in the information requested, and you will be ready to start journaling in a matter of moments.
2) So you have your own LiveJournal, now what? This is where the fun begins! To start, you will need to write a journal post explaining why you are my biggest fan. It can be any length and say anything you want, that’s the beauty of LiveJournal!
3) Once you have finished your journal post, the final step you will need to do to enter the contest is copy the direct URL to that post and paste it into the comments section below. Click submit and you are all set!
4) Submissions are open now and will be closed on January 30, 2015, so make sure to get everything in before then!
5) A panel of judges, including myself, will review each submission and select a winner who’s passion, personality, fandom and more shine through most. The winner will be notified directly at the end of the contest through their LiveJournal account and announced publicly in early 2015.
Your Generalissimo is excited to hear from you and I can’t wait to get the chance to meet my biggest fan in the world!