Arnold Peter, Founder and President of the Associate of Media & Entertainment Counsel (AMEC) announced the first annual Law & Justice film series with the final event Counsel of the Year. The two-day celebration honors the role of attorneys in the judicial process, popular culture and entertainment industries. AMEC expects 300 attendees that work as in-house counsels and business affairs attorneys in entertainment, media companies, and law firms to attend panels, receptions and the Awards Gala. The Jury members that will select winners in the best law and legal issues in Feature Narrative, Episodic TV, Cable/Video on Demand, Comedy and Documentary. It should be a fascinating event since the law weaves in and out of pop culture from film to tv to books to games and VR. The first book lawyer I fell in love with was Atticus from ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ and the film brought my fascination full circle. Of course I am not the only one since not year goes by without a new legal drama or film.
This year’s prestigious jury includes such distinguish legal professionals across the media and entertainment field and a retired former United States District Judge and California Supreme Court Justice and award-winning SAG actor RJ Mitte from the hit TV-series “Breaking Bad.”
- Vernon Chu, General Counsel, BBC Worldwide North America
- Gilda Brasch, Reality television producer and director
- Hon. Carlos R. Moreno (Ret.), former United States District Judge and California Supreme Court Justice
- Madeline Di Nonno, CEO, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
- Erica Van Loon, Partner and Head of the Trademark, Copyright and Media Practice, Glaser Weil
- RJ Mitte, actor, Breaking Bad
- Claudia Teran, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, FOX Sports
- Chacko Vadaketh, Cambridge trainer Barrister, actor and voiceover artist
“As a long-term supporter and AMEC Board member, I am delighted to join such a distinguished jury and with so much great filmed content being produced about lawyers, judges and the legal system we have our work cut out for us.” “AMEC is embarking on yet another exciting chapter with an innovative event that honors the best in what entertainment attorneys do.” stated Erica Van Loon, Jury president
AMEC’s 2018 Law and Justice Film Screening Series schedule will include the following:
- “Virtual and Augmented Reality On The World Stage” presented by USC’s Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT) and Moderated by Nishith Desai Associates – India’s leading international law and panel of in-house counsel.
- Interactive presentation “Lawyers on Film: Why Do They Hate Us?” Guest speaker – Nancy B. Rapoport, Garman Turner Gordon Professor of Law, UNLV and leading expert on contemporary legal ethics.
- Screening of Crime and Punishment starring Vanessa Redgrave and John Hurt. Discussion “What “Crime and Punishment” says and means to today’s attorneys and judges. Guest speaker – Marcus Levitt, Professor Emeritus of Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Sothern California – Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences. Leading authority on Fyodor Dostoevsky.
- Screening of “The Trial,” a 2010 film starring Matthew Modine based on novel by practicing attorney Robert Whitlow.
About the Association of Media and Entertainment Counsel
Established in 2005, The Association of Media & Entertainment Counsel (AMEC) was founded by Arnold Peter, former Vice President of Legal Affairs and Labor Relations at Universal Studios and current Managing Partner of Peter Law Group, Bill Simon, Chair of the Global Media & Entertainment Practice at Korn Ferry International and Peter Winkler, previously head of marketing at PricewaterhouseCoopers Global Entertainment & Media Practice to represent the interests and celebrate talented in-house counsel and independent attorneys at Entertainment and Media companies.
Today, AMEC celebrates its 12th year and its membership boasts more than 14,000 accomplished men and women working in a variety of executive roles worldwide including in-house counsel and business affairs attorneys at major entertainment and media companies and law firms.
The Association of Media & Entertainment Counsel (AMEC) was founded by veteran attorneys Arnold Peter, Bill Simon, and Peter Winkler to represent the interests and celebrate the legal profession in Media and Entertainment companies. , AMEC also announced its 2018 Jury members with the task to select winners in various categories for the best law and legal issues based content in feature narrative, Episodic TV, Cable/Video on Demand, Comedy and Documentary.