I’m so excited to learn of the 2016 Rockie Award Program Competition nominees from across the world. It will be a fierce battle with TV and digital content from around th wold. This year Banff World Media Festival (BANFF) has over 40 countries competing at the Program Competition Ceremony on Monday, June 13th at the beautiful Fairmont Baniff Springs. The beauty of the countryside is a perfect backdrop for content creators from around the world to show off their endeavors to showcase the talent from around the world.
Attendees will learn who will be be the winner in 22 categories that span drama, comedy, children’s, documentary, factual, digital and more.
“With the proliferation of television and digital content across today’s top global networks and platforms it’s important to recognize the companies and creatives who are breaking the mold to execute some of the most captivating projects and that’s what we strive to do with the Rockie Awards,” commented Ferne Cohen, Executive Director of the Banff World Media Festival. “We look forward to announcing the winners at our annual celebration in June.”
The Rockie Awards are one of the world’s largest program competitions. The program’s industry jury features more than 350 professionals and leaders from around the world working in entertainment and the media arena. Categories include Animation, Art and Performance, Children and Youth Fiction, Brand Content, Comedy Series, Digital Fiction Series, Drama Series, Environmental and Wildlife, Biological and History, Interactive, Interactive for Kids, Lifestyle, Melodrama, Music, Performance, Sketch and Variety, Reality, Science and Technology, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Action, Social and Investigative, and TV Movie.
For the full nominee list: http://
The festival is open to all and has programs for content creators to established producers seeking distribution or media channels. The 2016 BANFF schedule is live and has panels that anyone in the business or wants to get in the entertainment field. The organizers have created a schedule that will provide attendees insight into a variety of content streams including scripted, unscripted, digital, banded content, kids and animation. A few of the programs that I would love to attend as a content creator hoping to network are:
- YouTube will present an exclusive workshop for content creators detailing how to build a successful channel that will reach a global audience.
- Our Brand + Content Exchange will feature a session of leading CMOs discussing their storytelling strategies and new opportunities for consumer engagement.
- Jeanne Simon founder of SellYourTVConceptNow.com will have a seminar on how to deliver the perfect pitch in ten minutes or less with Mark Simon.
- Opportunity to build a relationship with the Breakfast with a Decision Maker a highly popular program booked through CONNECT. The meetings are with key international buyers attending BANFF giving lucky attendees one one one with movers & shakers.
- Kids Brands: the convergence of content & merchandise because kids toys are a huge source of revenue prime example Star Wars that if done right can grow with the fan with JENNIFER ROGERS-DOYLE and CHRISTOPHER KEENAN.
- Homegrown Formats is the panel to talk about how to take a regional/country show and package to the world with ROBERT COHEN, JULIE PIZZI, ADAM STEINMAN and JULIE BRISTOW
- Global Drama: Worldwide Programming Trends with PANCHO MANSFIELD, BROOK PETERS and JENS RICHTER discussing the importance of creating series for consumers all over the world who are interested in learning about other cultures through entertainment.
If you plan to attend examine the schedule and mark on your calendar what you plan to attend as well as have your pitch and a deck ready! You never know what opportunity will come around the corner at BANFF and you have to be ready to for your moment to pitch!
The Banff World Media Festival is the world’s largest and most important gathering of entertainment industry and digital media executives dedicated to media content development, production, broadcast and distribution within TV and digital media. BANFF provides a platform for the evolving media industry to develop its creative and business objectives – it serves as the leading destination for co-production and co-venture partners and is an unparalleled marketplace for over 2,000 international decision-makers to connect with new partners, learn from industry leaders and execute new business deals. The 37th annual BANFF World Media Festival will take place June 12–15, 2016 at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Canada.